4 THINGS YOU MAY NOT KNOW ABOUT CHIROPRACTIC
Most people think about going to a chiropractor for an “adjustment” when they are experiencing “neck or back pain.” While chiropractors are considered experts in dealing with musculoskeletal conditions, the truth is that it is not what has defined chiropractic as an essential and distinct healthcare profession for over a 100 years. Presented here are a few facts that can help clear up some of the mystery behind one of the fastest growing health professions.
1.CHIROPRACTIC IS ABOUT WELLNESS
While medicine in America and most of the world has increasingly become disease-based and patients are viewed as cases, chiropractic treatment has remained the only primary healthcare profession that is wellness-based. This premise allows chiropractic physicians to be patient-centered and personal, providing forgotten humanistic aspects to patient care. Its primary goal is to positively impact our long-term health and longevity. According to a 2013 Forbes article, “Consumers have made the connection between health and quality of life.”
The facts are in the numbers.
2. CHIROPRACTIC IS THE 2ND LARGEST HEALTHCARE PROFESSION IN THE WORLD
It is also the largest complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) field in integrative medicine. Mayo clinic defines integrative medicine as combining or integrating the best of conventional medical care with the best of evidence-based CAM.
3. CHIROPRACTORS EFFECTIVELY TREAT MUCH MORE THAN BACK AND NECK PAIN.
But don’t take our word for it (sounds subjective and opinionated...keep it factual and informative...meaning remove yourself from this a little bit) in recent years there has been a significant increase inscience-based research and literature demonstrating that a visit to a chiropractor can be for more than just treatment of neck and back pain.
- Blood pressure reduction. A 2007 study in the Journal of Human Hypertension showed a dramatic reduction in blood pressure in patients who received adjustments. 85 percent of the study showed patients had improvement after just one chiropractic adjustment!
- Chiropractic is more effective than medication for neck pain. A 2012 article in the New York Times quotes a study published in The Annals of Internal Medicine, which concludes that 57 percent of those who met with chiropractors had 75 percent reduction in pain, compared to 33 percent of the people in the medication group.
- Chiropractic enhances immune function. A 2010 study found that spinal manipulation (chiropractic adjustment) increased blood serum levels of important natural antibodies in patients. Chiropractic adjustment had a "priming" effect on the immune system. An optimally performing immune system enables the body to fight off infection and illness more effectively.
4. WHAT IS THE “POP” I HEAR WHEN I’M GETTING AN ADJUSTMENT?
The sound you hear is called cavitation: space being created within the joint causing gasses produced from the synovial fluid on the joint capsule to be released. The adjustment enables the synovial fluid to re-lubricate the joint surfaces; restoring normal motion to the joints. Anyone who has felt a stuck joint and had it realigned by a chiropractor knows what follows the adjustment… relief, the feeling of being lighter and being able to stand up taller.
I hope this sheds a little light on chiropractic. Feel free to ask me any questions, you can email me at DrJoe@shift.nyc